Monday, May 28, 2012

Murakami - Sputnik Sweetheart

During the weekend I finished reading Haruki Murakami's book "Sputnik Sweetheart". In the back of Murakami was compared to the likes of Paul Auster. That is a very good comparison. Having read several books by Auster I can say that is a very good comparison. However, I feel that Murakami writes less but says more than Auster. Also, at least this book was, more mystical compared to Auster.

The story was something different. First I thought that the story was rather dull and ordinary but as I read on I became impressed by his story telling skills. Somehow he appears to be telling everything but leaves the crucial bit behind a curtain. This strange love story was very appealing. I recognised the same kind of feelings of being alone and lost as the characters in the book had. I think rarely have I read a book that raises this kind of intimate and sensitive feelings in me.

I must read another book by Murakami before I can say if I like his writing. The next one I will read will probably be "Norwegian wood" if I can get myself a copy.


No comments:

Post a Comment